Friday, June 22, 2012

June 22, 2012

Welcome to my first ever blog!  I have two passions one is Nutrition and in college at The Ohio State University I studied Human Nutrition graduating in 1980 with a BS in Human Nutrition.  This was a relatively new major back then and differed from how most Registered Dietitians were trained in that I was not hospital trained with an internship. In 1983, I went to graduate school at the University of Cincinnati and received a Master's in Nutrition Education. I became a Registered Dietitian through the six month hospital experience route available to those with Master's Level education.  My second passion is Jewish History and much later in my life after marriage and children I decided to return to school and get a Master's in Judaic Studies with a concentration in Modern Jewish History at Siegal College in Cleveland.  At first it may seem that these two subjects have no connection to each other but you would be suprised how often nutrition and spirituality have meaning together.  The purpose of this blog is to explore, educate, highlight and draw parallels when these subjects collide.   I am also interested in hearing what you have to say as I have found that most people feel quite strongly about this subject BUT please be polite. 

2 comments:

  1. Robin--I am doing a similar thing --I would love your critiques on some of my posts at http://www.angelamd.com I'm trying to get my patients healthier through nutrition from a mind,body, spirit ---realm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dr Henriksen,

      Thank you for your comments. I am very impressed with the look of your site. It is very interesting to read. As a Registered Dietitian I am probably more traditional regarding a healthy diet. I believe the best bioavailability of nutrients for the body is through digesting food. Thus, I disagree with fad diets, quick fixes,taking random vitamins or anything that eliminates or isolates a particular food or group of foods. Popular now are cleanses or food that is liquified and studies show that this doesn't make any difference in health or nutrition overall. My husband is a family physician and sometimes he will come from rounding at the hospital and question, after all the treatments offered a patient, why they did (or did not) survive. For me, this is where the spirituality component comes into play. I am using my blog to try and explore this.

      I also write for examiner.com/robinrood which is devoted to nutrition and advice about health without the spirituality component. I have covered some of the topics you write about in your blog and you may find my take differs from yours.

      Thank you for your interest!

      Delete