Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Endemic Wins! The Ups and Downs of a Long 2022

 I love reading my old blog posts.  I decided I am actually a great storyteller. That makes sense to me since I love listening to stories.  Particularly historic tales from family members.  It doesn't even have to be from my family.  Everyone has an interesting story or memory to tell.  In fact, since it is the holiday season and people have tried to get back together this would be a great time to take out your phone and record some family stories of the friends and family  when you visit.  My best story is about a beloved relative who was also interested in family archives and took out a tape recorder (kids you are going to have to Google that), in 1979, and recorded the stories from my husband's grandfather and great aunt. It was so fascinating to learn about life in the early 1900's and stories about WW1. The grandfather interviewed dies shortly after the history taking and if the memories had not been preserved, we would have never known, in their own words, what life was like for that branch of the family coming to America.  Recently, this year, the uncle who recorded the history also passed away.  We are all very sad.  He was a wonderful relative to know and talk to as he had many stories to share, as well.

 Unfortunately 2022 was a year of loss for many.  I must have counted at least a half dozen friends who lost parents or other family members this year.  Our head Rabbi from the synagogue in the 1990's also passed away.  He was our religious leader when our family was young. It is hard to believe the 1990's was thirty years ago.  When did this time pass?  Am I ready to step into the role my parents and grandparents took on with such joy and grace?  I guess so as my grandchildren have noticed I wear my glasses on my head like a headband and copy that and tell me they are "Nana".  Pretty funny and smart.  So maybe I should just relax and be in the moment.

As I mentioned in the title the Covid Pandemic turned into an Endemic which means that we are grateful as we do have vaccines for Covid and some of its variants. But the flu came back with a surge as well as a new virus called RSV, which is another variation of the cold virus.  We hear scientists are working on a vaccine for this for 2023, but we will see.  Unfortunately, all three viruses have returned at the same time in various parts of the country. We have a political divide as well as a "vaccine is or not necessary" divide where parts of this country do not believe in vaccines, and thus the viruses can't be contained. Coincidently, this is the same part of the country that still believe the election "was rigged" i.e. Past President Trump voters. 

 In a previous post I mention there were citizens who stormed the Capital on January 6th, 2021. Last week the Final Report from the House Select committee released an 800 page report that provided testamony from those who were informed of what was going on that day. The result of the report referred to the Justice Department four criminal charges to Past President Trump meaning he is criminally liable for his actions that day.  It was also recommended that he be barred from ever running for office again.  I told you this will become something taught in schools and universities forever now.

Technically, it is January 2023 when I post this blog and currently the House of Representitives cannot agree on a new Speaker.  The Republicans gained a small majority and thus can't agree on a leader.  Our country has not dealt with this problem since 1923.  I only mention this because it is historic and my grandchildren will be learning this in school, too.  This time of year is when everyone has suggestions for staying healthy.  Eating more fruits and vegetables, exercising thirty minutes per day if possible and trying to reduce the stress in your life are still great ways to stay healthy so we can enjoy this new year!


1 comment:

  1. Un article aussi informatif sera grandement bénéfique pour les étudiants. Merci de l'avoir partagé. Ceux qui recherchent des Nutritionniste Blainville peuvent nous contacter

    ReplyDelete